SINGLE TOOTH DENTAL IMPLANTS
Tooth loss has many causes. The most common cause of tooth loss is gum disease, but it can also be caused by issues such as facial trauma, bruxism, or severe tooth decay. No matter how it happens, tooth loss has several significant impacts on your life, affecting how you eat, how you speak, your nutrition, and even the health of your jawbone. Following tooth loss, it is essential that you have them replaced as soon as possible. At Oral Surgery Specialists of Austin, we offer dental implants as a way to replace your missing teeth.
WHAT EXACTLY IS A DENTAL IMPLANT?
A dental implant is a restoration designed to replace a missing tooth. It is a revolutionary alternative to traditional tooth replacement treatments including bridges and dentures. Implants use small titanium posts to support the ceramic crowns that replace your missing teeth. The posts are surgically placed into your jawbone. The bone gradually fuses to the posts as you heal, a process called osseointegration. This fusion stabilizes the posts in your jaw, enabling them to provide secure support for your new replacement teeth.
WHAT TYPES OF IMPLANTS ARE AVAILABLE?
There are several different types of implants that allow us to meet some different needs.
• Multiple teeth. This treatment is used to replace two or more missing teeth. It is commonly referred to as an implant supported bridge. With this treatment, the number of posts is dependent upon the number of teeth you are missing and the condition of your jawbone.
• Full arch replacement. If you are missing a full arch of teeth, a full arch replacement, or implant supported denture, may be used, in lieu of a traditional denture. This treatment uses between 6 – 8 implants, depending on your individual needs.
• All-On-4 Treatment Concept. Another version of the full arch replacement, or implant-supported denture, is the All-On-4 Treatment Concept. This unique treatment was designed for patients with limited bone structure, and who might not be able to be treated with 6-8 implants. Instead, we use 4 implants at specific angles to secure a non-removable denture restoration.
WHAT IF I DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH BONE MASS?
Fortunately, if you do not have enough bone mass at your initial consultation, there are options that can still make them possible. One option is a bone graft. This treatment takes bone mass from elsewhere in your body, or from a compatible donor, and uses it to restore strength and shape to your jaw. Alternatively, if you are missing a full arch of teeth, you may be a candidate for the All-On-4 treatment, as described above.
DENTAL IMPLANT BENEFITS
• Implants offer superior comfort. Your teeth are supported by the posts rather than your gums.
• You can brush and floss your implants just like your natural teeth.
• The posts stimulate your jawbone just like the roots of your natural teeth. This stops bone loss in the jaw and prevents new bone loss from occurring.
If you are missing teeth, or have recently had a tooth extracted, dental implants may be for you. Call us at (512) 351-7653 today for more information and to schedule your consultation.
Facial Trauma Surgery
Oral Cancer Surgery
Single Tooth Dental Implants
Full Arch Replacement with Dental Implants
Sleep Apnea Treatment
Implant Anchored Dentures
Cleft Lip and Palate
Impacted Wisdom Teeth